Monday, January 7, 2013

{Counting Blessings in Hurricane Sandy}

Hurricane Sandy was not very nice to Long Islanders. But I believe it's because of hardships and trials is where communities grow together and unite, it's times where you feel more charitable towards your neighbors, it's a time for personal growth. We mourn but knowing we have Christ and others gets us through hardships  and trials and after the trial has left or we learn how to deal with it-WE ARE BETTER BECAUSE OF THE TRIAL.
 Hurricane Sandy was a time of growth and learning for myself. We have lived on the Island for 2 1/2 years and when things become more like home to you and hurts even more. Here is What my area experienced during the Storm.








This is the end of a canal in East Rockaway {+or- 2 miles away} All the boats crowded the end and destroyed decks, fences, boats and houses. All of these houses flooded too. 


 HOw would you like to wake up and find 6 boats in your yard?

 This house for sure flooded.


These cars parked on higher ground to be safe, but as you can see trees and branches fell on them : (




 Well let's not just keep this post entirely depressing. Here is me outside cooking up some eggs and perogies. I must say I have never cooked better perogies then outside on my stove on my grill. {the secret-let the perogies defrost first-there tell you to fry them up frozen}--Never again--See Blessings in disguise.

I made Jon take down the trampoline again and push everything in the corner so our backyard looked like a big mess.

 Here we are the sofa pushed all the way to the fireplace at night. The moment that sun went down at 6pm it was pitch black. This night Bro. and Sister Jones surprised us with the yummiest Italian food HOT too. They were constantly bringing over food, ice, coolers. They were so wonderful. 

I loved all the people who would call and check up on me and begging me if they could send us anything. I'm so grateful we heeded the prophets council and listened to the sweet whisperings of the Holy Ghost that guided our family what extra precautions we needed to take to  prepare for this storm.



Of course It had to snow {the only time too and it's January 8th right now}. The kids had so much fun playing. It was such a wet snow and I was getting paranoid if I should let me out or not. Luckily they all stayed warm and healthy.


The Anderson's Family stayed with us. Their 2 boys stayed with us before and during the storm and when the rest of the family got back from UT they stayed for a few days. We had so much fun! I literally had a build-in babysitter. We played tons of board games, talked and at this time we had our electricity on and they didn't living in Oceanside. WE didn't have electricity for 9 days. ONe thing it did was made me count my blessings several times a day!!!


Yes this is Mason and my girls old snow year. I know I'm terrible. He doesn't look to happy about it either.


Heres MB playing a second time. This time in her pajamas.


Addison and Abby made a darling snowman.



1 comment:

The Behunin Family Story said...

Looks Crazy! Way to make the best of everthing!