Monday, May 6, 2013

{Last Day-Breakers Mansion}


 The last day we were at Newport we decided to tour the Breakers Mansion. We both were skeptical about the kids going in, not sure how they would do especially for the cost of the tour {I think my whole family paid close to $50.00}. Jon kept telling me I should go by myself, but I hated that idea. It was suppose to be a family vacation not an {All about me vacation}. So we decided to check it out AND WE WERE SO HAPPY WE DID IT HAS A FAMILY. They have a kids guided tour.

Everyone had headphones including the children. Jon was on a splitter with Emberlynn to help push the buttons but towards the end MB was able to do it all by herself.




Three quarters into the tour MB looked at me and said, "When we are all done with this can we do it again?" My girls can tell you everything they learned about this Mansion as well as how the Vanderbelts lived in this Mansion.


 Alix was able to take some great pictures of Jon and I.




 You can't take pictures inside the Mansion so we snapped only a few outside of the Mansion. The tour took about an hour to complete. The kids had their tour {Jon listened to the kids cause he was with MB} and I listened to the Adult tour. Jon kept telling me I should change my channel to the kids cause it was so good. I kept telling him I was loving the adult tour. They did such a great job with the tour and I don't regret $1.00 that I spent on the tour. It was breathtaking. Jon bought me a book of the inside for memories and looking the pictures does not do justice for this home. It extravagant.


So for an Interior Designer what was my opinion about the Breakers home. "I'll tell you. First of all there were 2 different designers who created this space and an amazing architect. The first floor was done by one designer and the second floor was done by another. 2 totally different designs. My first impression stuck with me the whole time and made me think how can anyone live in a home like this one and be in harmony with the Lords teachings. The room was breathtaking. I have never ever seen a building anywhere that was more decorative with the finest materials known to man. One room they were trying to figure put why the Stainless Steel walls were not tarnishing to find out they USED PLATINUM. Who does that? There was do wood used in the structure of the home cause they wanted to make sure it wouldn't burn down. One room they lined the whole library in leather. Don't get me wrong I absolutely loved seeing everything and found it so beautiful but for the purpose of what it was used for I can't help but think how money could of been used for the better good. I thought about if Christ ever asked Mr. Vanderbilt if he could give all his riches and join him on a mission could and would he?

The bathtub was 13"thick of marble that hardly was functional that they had to fill it up 3 times to warm up the marble for Mr. Vanderbilt. I don't think the Vanderbilt's were wretched people, they had many good qualities as well; such as, families were very important to them and I loved that they had a family symbol that described their family that is the acorn. I only remember it meaning strong. It did make me think should think of a family symbol for our family. The Vanderbilt's had so much money so many mansions that they would call summer cottages : ). But it made me think and ponder about my home now as well as future homes I may have and what I want people to think and feel when they walk in it. This was another reason I was grateful I went.


 Okay inside the Mansion you were allowed to take pictures of the view. So here's the view....



and here's me infront of the view. Normally in the summer they have these boards down. So the whole balcony is open to the view.


Next to the Breakers you drive by the Salve Regina University. Wouldn't this be a fancy place to study?





This is a random picture that I found.


1 comment:

The Behunin Family Story said...

It is crazy cool. Wow could you imagine living there? Glad you had fun!